The Will of God
- The “will” of God would be better translated as the “desire” of God. As seen below, much of the will of God is routinely ignored. Further, the fact that something happens does not mean that it was the will of God (e.g., sin).
- The God of the Bible has never been subtle. Any desire of God will be clearly stated or made unmistakable with physical evidence. Speculation is condemned (1 Timothy 1:3 – 7, 6:4, 6:20, 2 Timothy 2:16, 4:4, Titus 3:9, Romans 12:3).
- God does not have a plan for each individual. If He did, He would be required to communicate it clearly, not with hints, so we could follow our individualized plans.
- We should make choices based on our understanding of what God wants. Many times we do this badly. But, if we have made the choice with the faith we had at that moment, God is pleased and can work with it. We walk by faith, not by innuendo.
The will of God defined
- 1 Peter 2:15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men
- Hebrews 10:10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all
- 1 Timothy 2:4 Who desires (wills) all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16 – 18 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification
- Ephesians 1:5, 9 Having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will…having made known to us the mystery of His will
Results of harmony with His will
- 1 John 5:14 If we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
- 1 John 2:17 He who does the will of God abides forever
- Hebrews 10:36 For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise
- Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” shall enter the kingdom of heaven by he who does the will of My Father in heaven
- John 7:17 If anyone wills to do His will, he will know concerning the doctrine
Bits and pieces of His will
- 1 Peter 4:19 Therefore, let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good.
- 1 Peter 3:17 For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
- Hebrews 10:7, 9 Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God
- Hebrews 2:4 God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will
- 2 Timothy 1:1, Colossians 1:1, Ephesians 1:1, 2 Corinthians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God
- Ephesians 1:11 – 12 According to the counsel of His will, what we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.
- Galatians 1:4 Who gave Himself for our sins that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father
- Romans 9:18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens
- Acts 22:14 The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will
- Acts 21:14 When he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, “The will of the Lord be done.”
- John 21:22 If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.
- John 5:30 I do not seek My own will, but the will of the Father who sent Me
- John 5:21 As the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.
- Luke 11:2, Matthew 6:10 Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
- Matthew 18:14 It is not the will of your Father who in is heaven that one of these little ones should perish
Doing His will
- 1 Peter 4:2 He should no longer live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God
- James 4:15 Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.”
- Hebrews 13:20 – 21 Now may the God of peace…make you perfect in every good work to do His will, working in us what is well pleasing in His sight through Jesus Christ
- Colossians 4:12 Always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may stand perfect and fully assured in all the will of God
- Colossians 1:9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding
- Ephesians 6:5 – 6 Bondservants, be obedient to those who are your masters…doing the will of God from the heart
- Ephesians 5:17 Understand what the will of God is
- 2 Corinthians 8:5 They first gave themselves to the Lord and then to us by the will of God
- 1 Corinthians 4:19 I will come to you shortly, if the Lord wills
- Romans 15:32 That I may come to you by the will of God
- Romans 12:2 Be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God
- Romans 2:18 Know His will and approve the things that are excellent
- Romans 1:10 Now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you
- Acts 18:21 I will return to you again, God willing
- Acts 13:22 A man after My own heart, who will do all My will
- John 4:34 My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to finish His work
- Mark 3:35, Matthew 12:50 Whoever does the will of God is My brother, sister, and mother
- Matthew 26:42 If this cup cannot pass away from me unless I drink it, Your will be done
- Matthew 12:7, 9:13 I desire (will) mercy and not sacrifice