In the King James Version, several words are translated as patience. Those words are also translated abiding, continuing, enduring, longsuffering, bearing, gentleness, and moderation.
5278 (hupomeno) To stay under, to remain; figuratively, undergo, have fortitude, persevere.
5281 (hupomone ) Cheerful endurance, constancy
Patient endurance is a part of that love that is poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5)
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 – 7 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
- Romans 12:9 – 13 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:5 Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ.
Patient endurance is a mark of those who are above the cares of this life.
- James 1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
- James 5:11 Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord – that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.
Rejoicing in the successes of faith is a product of patient endurance
- James 1:2 – 4 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you be perfect and complete, lacking nothing,
- Hebrews 12:2 – 3 Looking unto Jesus, the originator and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.
Patient endurance is for the sake of others
- 2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
Patient endurance during suffering is a normal part of a Christians life. However, since this concept is repeated several times, patient endurance is not simple.
- 1 Peter 2:20 For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God.
- Hebrews 12:7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?
- Hebrews 10:32 But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings
- Romans 2:5 – 8 But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteousness judgment of God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness – indignation and wrath.
A related words are 3115 (makrothumia) and 3114 (makrothumeo) longsuffering, patience
Patience does not necessarily imply bad things happening to me, but putting up with the actions of others that do not affect me directly.
- Romans 9:22 God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction.
- Romans 2:4 Do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?
- 2 Peter 3:20 …the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah…
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance,
- 2 Peter 3:15 …consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation…
As with hupomone, longsuffering is a product of the Spirit that dwells in us.
- Galatians 5:22 – 23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love ,joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
- Colossians 1:9 – 12 For this reason we also, since the day we heard of it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.
The longsuffering attitude (putting up with people, not necessarily personal affliction) is expected.
- 1 Timothy 1:16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.
- 2 Timothy 3:10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance…
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the Word. Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
- Ephesians 4:1 – 3 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
- Colossians 3:12 – 13 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering, bearing with one another, if anyone has a complaint against another, even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.