Promises that God will give wisdom to the faithful
- James 1:5 – 8
- Must realize the need for God’s wisdom
- Must ask without doubting
- God will not think less of you for the request
- Ephesians 1:7 – 10, 1:15 – 21 God’s grace abounds toward us in that we are given wisdom and understanding of His plan.
- Colossians 1:9 – 12, 3:16 “…filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding…”
How do we know we have received wisdom?
- James 3:13 – 17
- “Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom.” (Gentleness: gentle, pleasant, mild, calm, and friendly)
- Envy and self-seeking, resulting in confusion, are from earthly wisdom.
- Godly wisdom is pure, peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy (fixing the root cause of problems), and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.
- Matthew 11:19 “Wisdom is justified by her works.” (also Luke 7:35)
- 1 Corinthians 1:17 – 2:13
- Based on actions and evidence, not words.
- Simplicity and human weakness, not manipulation and polish.
- He who claims to be wise probably is not. Look for the products of wisdom.
- 2 Corinthians 1:12 Simplicity, sincerity, graciousness.
- Colossians 2:20 – 23 Asceticism has the appearance of wisdom, but is of no value against fleshly indulgence.
- Colossians 3:5 – 6 Redeeming the time, gracious and witty speech, adapting to the audience.