Thanks in the KJV
- The most common word, used 55 times, is from the root eucharist, used as a noun, verb, or adjective: to give thanks, to thank, or to be thankful.
- Ten times, charis (grace) is translated thanks.
- Three times, forms of logia (profess) are translated thanks.
On many occasions, someone thanked God for doing something that people cannot do
- Luke 17:16 [The Samaritan leper] fell down at His feet, giving Him thanks
- John 11:41 Then they took away the stone and Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me.”
- Romans 1:8 I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
- Romans 7:24 – 5 Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God – through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- 1 Corinthians 1:4 I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 14:18 I thank God that I speak with tongues more than you all.
- 2 Corinthians 1:11 …you also helping in prayer for us, that thanks may be given by many persons on your behalf for the gift granted to us through many
- 2 Corinthians 4:15 For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God.
- 2 Corinthians 9:11 – 12 …you are enriched in everything for all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God.
- Ephesians 1:15 – 16 Therefore, I also, after I heard of your faith…do not cease to give thanks for you.
- Ephesians 5:20 …giving thanks always for all things to God
- Philippians 1:3 I thank God…for your fellowship in the gospel
- Colossians 1:3 We give thanks to the Lord…since we heard of your faith
- Colossians 1:12 …giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers…
- Colossians 3:17 …do all in the name of the Lord, giving thanks
- 1 Thessalonians 2:13 We thank God without ceasing because when you received the word of God…you welcomed it not as the word of men…but the word of God
- 1 Thessalonians 1:2 We give thanks to God always for you…remembering your work of faith
- 2 Thessalonians 1:3 We are bound to thank God always for you…because your faith grows exceedingly and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other
- 2 Thessalonians 2:13 We are obligated to give thanks to God always for you…because God chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.
- Philemon 4 I thank my God, making mention of you in my prayers, hearing of your love and faith…that the sharing of your faith may be effective
- Revelation 11:17 We give thanks…because You have taken Your great power and reigned.
We need to be careful that we thank God for what He did specifically, not for what I like.
- Luke 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, “God, I thank You that I am not as other men.”
Some contexts are made richer by including the idea that God caused something.
- Acts 28:15 When Paul saw them, he thanked God and took courage.
- Romans 1:21 Although they knew God, they did not glorify Him…nor were thankful
- Ephesians 5:4 …but rather the giving of thanks
- Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.
- Colossians 2:7 …rooted and built up in Him…abounding with thanksgiving.
- Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of God rule in your hearts…and be thankful
- Colossians 4:2 Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving
- 1 Thessalonians 3:9 For what thanks can we render to God for you?
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 …in everything give thanks
- 1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort…that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men
- Revelation 4:9 The living creatures give glory, honor, and thanks to Him
- Revelation 7:12 Thanksgiving and power and honor and might be to our God
Thanks given for ordinary food show that the direct action of God is not always the point.
- Matthew 15:36 (Mark 8:6) He took the seven loaves and the fish and gave thanks.
- Matthew 26:27 (Mark 14:23, Luke 22:17, 19, 1 Corinthians 11:24) He took the [bread] [cup] and gave thanks
- John 6:11, 6:23 Jesus took the loaves and, when He had given thanks….
- Acts 27:35 And when he had said these things, he took bread and gave thanks to God
- Romans 14:6 He who eats, eats to the Lord and gives thanks
- 1 Corinthians 10:30 If I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over
- which I give thanks?
- 1 Corinthians 14:16 – 17 How will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say, “Amen,” at your giving of thanks?
- 1 Timothy 4:3 – 4 …foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving
And a few odd applications:
- Romans 16:4 To [Priscilla and Aquila] not only I give thanks but also all the churches…
- 1 Corinthians 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius lest any should say that I had baptized in my own name.
- Acts 24:3 We accept it, most noble Felix, with all thankfulness.
- Thankfulness should seek the direct actions of God
- We should be cautious about thanking God for things He did not promise
- Food is a promise (Matthew 5:33)