To What Degree Can Christians Resemble Jesus?
Believers should resemble Jesus’
- Love (1 John 2:6) He who says he abides in Him ought also to walk just as He walked.
- Perception (2 Corinthians 3:18) But we all, with unveiled face, behold as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
- Evangelism (2 Corinthians 5:17) Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
- Valuation (Galatians 6:15) For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation.
- Righteousness (Ephesians 4:20 – 24) But you have not so learned Christ, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus; that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
- Knowledge (Colossians 3:9 – 10) Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him.
- Character (Romans 8:29) For whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- Commitment (Romans 6:4) Therefore, we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
- Suffering (1 Peter 2:21 – 22) For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in His steps: “Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth.”
- Faith (Romans 3:26, James 2:1, Revelation 14:12) Believers have the faith of Jesus
After so many failures, how can we have confidence in successfully imitating Jesus?
- Spirit leads (Romans 8:13 – 14) For is you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
- Spirit helps (Romans 8:26) Likewise, the Spirit also helps our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit makes intercession with groaning which cannot be uttered.
- Spirit strengthens (Ephesians 3:14 – 16) For this reason I bow my knees to the Father from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height – to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
What tools have Christians been given to achieve this transformation?
- Believing our potential (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- Believing our importance (Ephesians 3:10)
- The Word (Hebrews 4:12, 2 Thessalonians 2:15, Acts 20:32, 2 Corinthians 3:7 – 18 )
- Singing (Ephesians 5:18 – 21, Colossians 3:16)
- Prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17, Romans 12:12, Colossians 1:9 – 12, 1 John 5:16)
- Time Management (Ephesians 5:15 – 16, Colossians 4:5, Romans 8:18 – 25)
- Conscious Thought Control (Philippians 4:8, Ephesians 4:25 – 32, Colossians 3:12 – 15)
- Love (Romans 5:5, 1 John 4:12 – 13)
- Fellowship (1 John 1:5 – 7, Acts 2:42, 2 Corinthians 13:14, Philippians 2:1, Philemon 6, Hebrews 13:16)
- Teaching (Hebrews 5:12)
- Evangelism (2 Corinthians 3:18, 4:7, 4:13)
- Giving (2 Corinthians 8:4 – 7)
- Suffering (1 Peter 4:12, James 1:3, 2 Corinthians 12:9)