Used in a common sense of making a choice:
- Luke 10:42 Mary has chosen the good part.
Choosing individuals to accomplish a task:
- Acts 15 22, 25 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch…
- Acts 1:2 Through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen.
- John 15:16, 19 You did not choose me, but I chose you
- John 13:18 I do not speak concerning all of you; I know whom I have chosen.
- John 6:70 Did I not choose you, the twelve; yet one of you is a devil?
- Acts 9:15 He [Paul] is a chosen vessel of mine
- Acts 1:24 Show which of these two you have chosen.
- Romans 11:28 But concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers
Describing the faithful as a group:
- Romans 9:11 That the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls.
- 1 Corinthians 1:27 – 29 (1 Peter 2:4) But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak thing of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence.
- 2 Peter 1:10 Make your call and election sure
- Revelation 17:14 And those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful
- Titus 1:1 According to the faith of God’s elect
- Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and blameless…
- 1 Peter 2:9 You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people
- 1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ
- Ephesians 1:4 He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world
- Matthew 24:22, Mark 13:20 But for the elect’s sake, whom He has chosen, He shortened the days.
- Matthew 24:24, Mark 13:22 To deceive, if possible, even the elect.
- Matthew 24:31, Mark 13:27 He will gather the elect from the four winds
- Matthew 22:14, 20:16 Many are called, but few are chosen.
- Luke 18:7 The Lord will avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him
- Romans 8:33 Who will bring a charge against God’s elect?
- 1 Timothy 5:21 I charge you before God and the Lord Jesus Christ and the elect angels…
- 2 Timothy 2:10 I endure all things for the sake of the elect
- Romans 11:5 There is a remnant according to the election of grace
- Romans 11:7 The elect have obtained it
- 1 Thessalonians 1:4 Knowing, beloved brethren, your election by God
Describing a faithful person:
- Luke 23:35 Let Him save Himself, if He is the Christ, the Chosen of God.
- Romans 16:13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord.
- 1 Peter 2:6 Behold I lay in Zion a chief cornerstone, elect, precious
Unknown – a group or a person
- 2 John 1, 13 The elect lady
- “Chosen” and “elect” are the same word.
- Among the groups, all the chosen or elect are also described as faithful except Israel, which was chosen for a task. Israel was chosen because of the fathers.
- The sequence of being chosen by God appears to be:
- God called
- Some responded in faith
- God chose those who responded.
- The reason for using the concept of chosen is to put the initiative on God, “so that no flesh may glory in His presence.” Even faith was not our own initiative; God planned and called long before we considered diligently seeking Him.