The Character of Jesus 7
Talking with the Woman at the Well
John 4:5 – 42
Taking opportunities outside the plan
- Jesus’ objective was to go to the lost sheep of Israel (Matthew 10:6, 15:24).
- Yet, He initiated a conversation with this woman resulting in a two-day delay.
- The woman had a checkered past and an unacceptable present.
- Jesus was pointed but not condemning.
- As with Nicodemus, Jesus had high expectations of her ability to understand.
- Jesus used the situation to teach His disciples, also.
- Although we do not have a limited mandate like Jesus, we must, if only for practicality, set a target audience for ourselves. But, opportunities outside the plan are likely.
- We need to initiate contact, not just wait for outsiders to find us.
- Don’t make plans (or promises) that rule out delays.
- People of dubious background need the gospel, too.
- People of dubious background know it. There is no need to avoid the subject, just don’t condemn and thereby end the conversation.
- Have high expectations; don’t insult their intelligence.
- Use the unexpected opportunity as a lesson to more conventional brethren.