The Character of Jesus 5
First Cleansing of the Temple
John 2:13 – 25
- (13) Jesus followed the Law, not considering Himself above it.
- (15 – 16) He took action at the perversion of the Law.
- No one was injured and no property was lost.
- Jesus was passionate, not Stoic.
- (17) He actions reminded His disciples of Psalm 69.
- (19) He gave physical evidence as required of prophets.
- (24) He did not entrust His mission to novice believers.
- Each has the responsibility to grow into Jesus’ character. Especially considering the power and tasks of the indwelling Spirit, we are not above the demands of faith and love.
- Who decides what is a perversion and what is deficient teaching?
- Whatever we decide to do, we cannot justify property damage or personal injury.
- Passion is appropriate if used well.
- Our actions should remind people of the Scriptures.
- We need to give evidence of the work of the Spirit.
- Build up the faithful. Give others opportunity to grow. But don’t let the system crash.